“We’ll also be asking the same principles that the South Australian Premier has asked his community to do, that if you are travelling from South Australia to Victoria, please don’t come right now and only restrict it to essential travel,” he told Nine’s Today program.
“The exception to this of course is the border communities where we’ll continue the bubble that is in place between the Victorian and South Australian small regional border towns.”
The SA outbreak has caused Western Australia, Queensland, Tasmania and the Northern Territory to close their borders to SA travellers – requiring any inbound passengers two quarantine for two weeks upon arrival.
Victoria, alongside NSW and the ACT, is keeping borders open and screening South Australian passengers at airports. From Thursday only truck drivers will be screen at the land border.
“No border restrictions have been imposed at this stage, but we are continuing to monitor the situation in South Australia,” Victoria’s Deputy Chief Health Officer Professor Allen Cheng said on Tuesday.
Current border ‘bubble’ arrangements allows South Australian cross-border residents to travel to Victoria for any reason anywhere within a 70km cross-border corridor.
“All cases in the outbreak in South Australia have known links and are currently within metropolitan Adelaide, so the risk to Victoria’s border communities is low.”
Two flights carrying 122 passengers arrived at Tullamarine airport from Adelaide on Monday, with 81 tested for COVID-19. No flights arrived at Melbourne or Mildura on Tuesday, with two more flights expected on Wednesday afternoon.
Screening entails taking names and contact details of SA travellers, an interview about where they have been and temperature and symptom checks. Only certain passengers are being required to be tested and quarantine.
“People in South Australia who have been at a high-risk location are required to quarantine, and the South Australian border is closed to most travellers from Victoria,” said Professor Cheng.
“We are also putting in place a range of other measures, including screening arrivals at Melbourne Airport, alerting aged care facilities and hospitals and continuing wastewater testing in western Victoria.”
No flights are scheduled into Melbourne airport or Mildura airport today from Adelaide. The next flights expected from Adelaide are due to arrive tomorrow.
There still remains three active cases in Victoria, two of which were still in hospital as of Tuesday.
Public health officials have explained the long active period for the remaining three cases as being attributed to people who may be immuno compromised or still have symptoms beyond the 10 day isolation period.
People recover from COVID at different rates, according to the Department of Health.
Rachael Dexter is a breaking news reporter at The Age.
A man has died after the fuel tanker he was driving crashed into a tree before bursting into flames in the Adelaide Hills.
The CFS was first alerted to the incident at about 11.10pm on Thursday after multiple callers said they heard a large explosion and then saw 20m flames on the side of Brookman Rd at Meadows.
The fuel tanker was believed to be carrying 14,000 litres of diesel when it left the road and rolled before crashing into the tree, according to a CFS spokesman Brett Williamson.
He said 12 CFS and three MFS crews, two CFS bulk water carriers and special CFS trucks responded to the incident as well as SA Police, paramedics and the Environment Protection Agency to extinguish the blaze.
The 59-year-old man from Echunga was the only occupant of the vehicle and died at the scene.
His death brings the state’s road toll to 70 compared to 86 at the same time last year.
Brookman Rd between Morris Rd and Hammersmith Dr will be closed for most of the day while crews carry out the clean-up required.
“Requiring truck drivers to self-isolate until they have results would mean they would have to spend up to five days a week waiting around for a text message,” Mr Maguire said.
“Governments must, as a matter of urgency, put in place a clear system so drivers who undertake screening tests are not required to self-isolate,” he said.
Mr Maguire said Western Australia and South Australia required some truck drivers to be tested, Queensland was encouraging truck drivers to be tested, while the situation in NSW was unclear.
“Transport for NSW last night [Tuesday] put out a press release saying truck drivers should be tested. Now no one knows what that means. We don’t know if that’s mandating,” he said.
“We’ve got major fleets in our membership that are ringing major retailers this afternoon telling them that they can’t supply. They’re going to stop supply because they can’t get enough drivers to comply with all the different border closures,” he told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald.
Noelene Watson, the managing director of Don Watson Transport, said she had heard repeated stories in the industry about drivers who had sought a COVID-19 test but could not get tested because they had no symptoms.
“I have 150 trucks, 150 drivers that have to travel the eastern seaboard. They are asking these drivers to be tested every seven days. Once they’re tested they have to isolate until they get the testing back, which is usually between three to five days,” she said.
“On a good scenario, if it was three days I would be down 50 per cent of my drivers. If it was a bad scenario, five days, I could be down 70 per cent of drivers. Which means the freight does not move,” she said.
NSW does not require freight drivers carrying commercial freight across the border to self-isolate, subject to several conditions.
To be exempt from isolation requirements, workers who have been in Victoria in the past 14 days must be tested for COVID-19 every seven days. Also, freight carriers must obtain a permit from NSW and follow a safety plan at all times – including measures for social-distancing, hygiene and record keeping.
“Freight drivers who have been tested for COVID-19 are not required to self-isolate whilst awaiting these test results if asymptomatic,” said a spokeswoman for NSW Regional Transport and Roads Minister Paul Toole.
The NSW regulations are designed to be consistent with the interstate freight protocol issued through the national cabinet on Friday last week.
The freight protocol said the “movement of domestic freight via heavy vehicles is critical to ensuring supply chains continue to operate smoothly and individuals, businesses and service providers can access the goods they need”.
A spokeswoman for Deputy Prime Minister and Transport Minister Michael McCormack said the freight protocol was endorsed by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee and outlines measures that all jurisdictions agree will allow freight to move safely and efficiently across borders.
The spokeswoman said the federal government was working closely with state and territory governments, regulators and industry to consider how best to implement the new measures, including “a number of practical issues around testing, reporting and any requirements for isolation of workers”.
National cabinet is now working to develop the freight protocol into an enforceable code of practice.
Darren is the mining and agribusiness reporter for The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald.
Investors also are anticipating Musk will unveil new “million-mile” battery technology that could deliver longer life, lower costs and better range for future Tesla vehicles.
“Production of the battery and powertrain will take place at Giga Nevada,” Musk wrote. Most of the other work will probably take place in other states, he wrote, without stating where.
Musk has said Tesla is scouting other US states for a site to build a new factory, hinting that Texas could be a candidate. Oklahoma and other states are campaigning for the investment.
When Musk unveiled the prototype of the futuristic, battery-powered Semi in 2017, he said the Class 8 truck would go into production by 2019. More recently, he said the Semi would go into volume production by 2021.
Musk’s Tuesday message coincides with a surge in the share price of rival clean truck maker Nikola Corp .
Nikola, an electric and fuel cell truck startup, earlier this month began trading on the Nasdaq after it merged with special purpose acquisition company VectoIQ.
Shares in Nikola have more than doubled in price over the past week as the company’s CEO has used Twitter and interviews to promote plans to launch an electric pickup truck to Tesla’s forthcoming Cybertruck.
Nikola and CNH Industrial’s IVECO commercial truck operation last year formed a joint venture to build a battery electric and fuel cell truck line called the Nikola Tre. IVECO has said orders are strong for the electric version of the truck, due out next year.
Nikola on Wednesday said it had hired a former Tesla executive, Mark Duchesne, to lead its manufacturing and a former Caterpillar executive, Pablo Koziner, to head its hydrogen fuelling and battery recharging business.
UPDATE: The Kwinana Freeway has been cleared and train services are back online after a truck veered through a guardrail and onto tracks earlier today, grinding traffic to a halt.
Main Roads says the section of southbound tarmac after Anketell Road was now operating as normal.
For those catching the train there is good news too, with Transperth announcing “services have resumed running on the Mandurah line”.
There was a caveat however, with services “not yet running to the normal timetable”.
“Thank you for your patience,” it said to followers on Twitter.
EARLIER: Part of the Kwinana Freeway remains closed after a truck veered off the freeway, crashing through a guardrail and onto the train tracks in Anketell.
The truck has since been removed but Main Roads WA has warned the left emergency lane southbound is blocked after Anketell Road and there is heavy congestion.
Trains on the Mandurah line have been cancelled between Cockburn Central and Rockingham. Train replacement buses are being organised, however commuters have been warned to allow extra travelling time.
A caller to radio station 6PR said the truck had broken through a wire guard rail and travelled up the the side of a gully to come to rest at an angle with the driver’s side wheel resting on the railway line.
”The driver was removed from the cabin of the truck, they have got him out. Not long after a train was coming northbound,” Bob said.
Another caller has reported traffic backed up to Rowley Road.