Categories
Local News - Victoria

Third person charged over tradie stabbing death in Seaford


Another accused, Jack Ledlin, 19, appeared before Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday where police allege he used an edged weapon to stab Mr Smith once in the chest. He was remanded to March 25 next year for a committal mention.

Another accused, a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named, has been charged with affray, intentionally causing injury and committing an offence while on bail. He fronted a children’s court on Friday and was granted bail despite police concerns he would offend if released and hinder the ongoing investigation.

Police also arrested a 21-year-old woman, also from Somers, on Friday.

Loading

At the 17-year-old’s bail application, police said Mr Smith, 26, and his girlfriend were about to get into their car when they were confronted by a group of four people, after they were “berated” by two of them.

Police allege the group approached the couple in the car park outside the train station and a female smashed a bottle at the girlfriend’s feet, before Mr Smith was “set upon” by the three others.

Police allege Mr Ledlin stabbed Mr Smith in the chest and after the tradesman fell to the ground, the 17-year-old and one other kicked him before fleeing.

After his arrest, the boy told investigators he had no knowledge that Mr Ledlin allegedly intended to stab Mr Smith. But he admitted to police he intended to smash a bottle and stab the carpenter, but didn’t act on his plans.

Earlier on Friday, Mr Ledlin wore a white zip-up jacket as he appeared via a video link from custody and didn’t say anything during his brief court appearance.

The court heard he took medication for ADHD and had been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. He was remanded in custody to appear again on March 25.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Young tradesman Cam Smith killed in stabbing outside Seaford train station


Homicide squad officers are still working to identify two other men and a woman they believe may be able to assist them.

Mr Smith’s grieving father, Mike, called radio station 3AW on Thursday morning to pay tribute to his son, who he said was a carpenter and gifted athlete.

Cam Smith's grieving father says his son was a hard worker with a heart of gold.

Cam Smith’s grieving father says his son was a hard worker with a heart of gold.

Mike said that his son had just had dinner with his girlfriend on Wednesday night and they were getting into their car when a group of three or four men and a woman approached them.

He said the woman abused his son’s girlfriend using “all sorts of expletives”.

“He went to defend her and a bottle was broken, and in that fight he was stabbed in the heart and died fairly quickly,” he said through tears.

Cam Smith's sister Taylah, father Michael, sister Chantelle and mother Michelle remembered their loved one on Thursday.

Cam Smith’s sister Taylah, father Michael, sister Chantelle and mother Michelle remembered their loved one on Thursday. Credit:Nine News

“I wanted to ring and talk about my boy. He was 26 … he had everything to live for. He was a go-getter, hard worker. He had a heart of gold, he would help anyone, anytime. He was a fantastic kid.

“He was just a great young man. He was a carpenter. I had to ring his boss last night and he was devastated. He was devastated because he looked upon him as his little brother.”

The man’s father said he wanted the people involved in Mr Smith’s death to be caught and charged, but no matter how long they serve in jail, it would “never be enough for me, no matter how long I live.”

“We’ve got a long, hard road ahead of us,” he told Nine News. “There won’t be a day where we don’t think about him, won’t be a day I don’t cry.”

While wiping away tears, Michelle Smith said her son was a “beautiful boy who was loving and would do anything for you”.

“When I needed him, he was here in a shot. I just love him and I miss him,” she told Nine News.

“Whoever did this, I hope you have regrets. How can you do that? You’re not human and you’ll get what you deserve.”

The emotional father said the family and Mr Smith’s girlfriend were “absolutely distraught.”

“I look at this year and think it couldn’t get any worse, but to find that out last night it really hit home. You hear stories … of people losing their loved ones to crimes and lives taken and you feel sorry for them and your life goes on and you don’t really know what the family are going through and I do.”

The scene of the fatal attack.

The scene of the fatal attack.Credit:Nine News

He said his son was a gifted runner. He wanted to work for himself and become a registered builder, and also wanted a family in the future.

“Those things are snuffed out in a matter of minutes,” he said.

Friends have paid tribute to Mr Smith online. “Rest in peace brother,” one wrote. “I’m lost for words.”

Chief Police Commissioner Shane Patton called on those responsible to come forward.

“We will identify those offenders, there is no doubt about that,” he said. “It won’t take long for us to scoop them up.”

A man who witnessed the tragedy returned to the scene on Thursday morning.

“I saw a group of people coming back from the beach. Someone was in the middle of it. There was some screeching beforehand, and then there was some screaming at the group and someone went down in the middle of the group,” the man told Nine News.

He said the people involved stuck around for a short time before they scattered.

“When all the police were here there seemed to be no real witnesses,” he said.

The attack unfolded near Seaford train station.

The attack unfolded near Seaford train station.Credit:Nine News

The man left flowers at the scene.

“He’s got a family and that family needs to know that strangers give a stuff about their child and it’s a day at the beach ends up with someone stabbed. It’s just ridiculous.”

Homicide detectives are still establishing the circumstances around the incident.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Most Viewed in National

Loading



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Bellevue Hill mother Samantha Palmer accused of stabbing son Hugo Ball


A mother accused of stabbing her own son multiple times at their family home in Sydney’s eastern suburbs screamed “I love you” as she was escorted into the back of a police van.

Officers were called to a home on Drumalbyn Rd in Bellevue Hill just after 1.30am on Saturday where they found 22-year-old Hugo Ball suffering life-threatening injuries.

It is alleged he had been stabbed in his upper body.

He was treated at the scene before being rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital in a serious condition. His condition has since stabilised following surgery.

NSW Ambulance Inspector Giles Buchanan told 9News Mr Ball had extremely low blood pressure suggesting he had lost a lot of blood

“The location of the wounds can certainly be fatal,” he said.

His 55-year-old mother Samantha Palmer was arrested at the home and taken to Waverley Police Station where she spent 13 hours before she was charged with wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (domestic violence).

She could be heard screaming “I love you” as authorities whisked her away into the back of a police van.

“I’m the mother of this child for God’s sake,” Mr Palmer could be heard saying.

She was refused bail and will front court on Sunday.

A knife was seized from the home.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Newtown cop stabbing: Boy, 15 charged


A 15-year-old boy has been charged with stabbing an off-duty policewoman in Sydney’s inner west.

The officer had stopped to help a distressed teenage girl on Alice Street in Newtown in the early hours of September 6 when she was allegedly confronted by the Punchbowl boy, another 15-year-old male and a 14-year-old girl then stabbed in the torso.

She was treated at the scene by paramedics then taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

The trio were arrested in nearby Marrickville and charged with offences including reckless wounding, drug possession and assault, and the Punchbowl boy now also faces a charge of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

He has been refused bail and is due to appear at a children’s court on Saturday.

The officer has since recovered.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Teen charged over Wynyard stabbing


Police have arrested and charged teenager over a horror stabbing at a lingerie bar in Sydney’s CBD on Thursday.

Officers said the 19-year-old man had left his ID at the venue and was arrested a day later at Green Valley Police Station.

He was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, affray and wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

He will front Parramatta Local Court on Saturday.

Police allege a group of five men were at the Concourse Bar in Wynyard about 6pm on Thursday when an argument broke out before the 19-year-old allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed the 34-year-old employee.

All five men left the scene, police said.

The staffer was treated at the scene by paramedics before he was rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital in a critical condition with stab wounds to his back and side. He is now in a serious but stable condition.

NSW Ambulance Inspector Giles Buchanan said the man had suffered two collapsed lungs, which could have been fatal if paramedics hadn’t arrived within minutes.

When first responders began treating him, he was awake and saying he was struggling to breathe.

“The intensive care paramedic on scene managed to decompress and reinflate the lungs, allowing the gentleman to breathe again,” Inspector Buchanan said.

Detective Acting Superintendent Paul Dunstan said the man was “still not in a good way” but had stabilised on Friday.

“It was an extremely serious incident,” he said.

A short time after the incident, police found three of the alleged offenders nearby.

Three men were taken Surry Hills police station where a 31-year-old Carlton man was charged with assault and affray. He was refused bail and will appear at Central Local Court on Friday.

A 29-year-old man from Narwee was charged with affray. He was granted conditional bail and will appear before Downing Centre Local Court later this month.

A 34-year-old man, from Ridgewood in Western Australia, was issued a criminal infringement notice for offensive language.

Concourse Bar licensee Rob Di Francesco declined to comment.

Another person who appeared to have been caught in the ensuing melee and got a cut to his forehead was also treated by paramedics.

Superintendent Dunstan did not confirm whether the man was another alleged offender, a patron or an employee of the bar.

Police are still searching for a fifth man.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Woman charged with murder after man dies in alleged CBD stabbing


A man has died in hospital after allegedly being stabbed in Melbourne’s CBD on Saturday night, with police investigating whether the attack is linked to another incident early on Sunday morning.

The 46-year-old was taken to hospital in a life-threatening condition about 9.30pm on Saturday, a police spokeswoman said.

Police were called to the corner of Bourke and King streets to reports of a group of people fighting, where they found a man seriously injured.

A 43-year-old woman has been charged in relation to the alleged stabbing. The 43-year-old woman was charged with one count each of murder and affray. She is due to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Balmain stabbing: Two teenagers charged


Two teenage boys have been charged over an alleged double stabbing on a street in Sydney’s inner west earlier this month.

Police said the teens, aged 16 and 17, started arguing with two unknown men, aged 18 and 22, who were walking toward a bus stop near Gladstone Park, Balmain, with a group of friends.

It’s alleged one teen produced a knife before stabbing the 18-year-old in the stomach and fleeing the scene.

The 22-year-old sustained stab wounds to his shoulder.

Authorities were called to Darling St about 8.30pm on September 15 following reports two men had been assaulted.

A 16-year-old boy was arrested at Maroubra on Tuesday last week and charged with two counts of wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and using an offensive weapon with intent to commit indictable offence.

The teenager was refused bail and appeared before a children’s court on Wednesday where he was granted strict conditional bail.

He will reappear in November.

On September 16 – a day after the alleged stabbing – a 17-year-old boy was arrested after turning up at Mascot Police Station where he required medical attention before being transferred to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.

He was released from hospital on Tuesday and taken to Burwood Police Station where he was charged with two counts of wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

The teenager was refused bail and will appear at a children’s court on Wednesday.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Boy, 15, charged with murder after South Yarra stabbing


Loading

The injured man was taken to hospital where he died.

It prompted police to issue an appeal for the rider of a motorised scooter and the driver of a white van, who were both captured on CCTV on Malvern Road at the same time as the teen, to come forward.

The footage showed the scooter rider striking the teen after he steps in front of it, while the white van drives past the teen and the victim during their altercation.

Police are still looking for those two people and appealing for them to come forward.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Man missing ‘part of ear’ after stabbing: police


A man has lost part of his ear after he was stabbed during a fight at a unit in Sydney’s east last night.

Two people, a man and a woman, were arrested on Sunday morning after a night of investigations into the incident at a Randwick complex.

Emergency services found the man, 30, suffering from stab wounds to his head and body – including a partially severed ear – at the unit about 8.40pm on Saturday.

NSW Ambulance paramedics treated the man at the scene at Young St before taking him to St Vincent’s Hospital where he underwent surgery for a serious internal injuries and to repair his ear.

A second man, 23, was found nearby in Botany St with an arm injury. He was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital in a stable condition.

Police will allege the two men – who are known to each other – were involved in a physical altercation following an argument before four men attended the unit and stabbed the older man.

Officers from Eastern Beaches Police Area Command established a crime scene and later arrested a woman, 26, at the unit.

The 23-year-old man was also arrested upon his release from hospital.

They have both been taken to Maroubra police station.

The 26-year-old woman was charged with aid and/or abet to wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Police will allege in court that the woman was at the unit and granted the men access.

She was refused bail to appear in Parramatta bail court on Sunday.

Inquiries continue.

Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Corio: Teen dies after stabbing


Homicide detectives are investigating after a teenage boy died as a result of being stabbed near Geelong last Sunday night.

The 18-year-old from Bell Post Hill was rushed to hospital — where he died — after a fight broke out between two groups of youths on Goulburn Ave in Corio after 6.30pm on August 23.

Police arrested two males nearby after the stabbing.

A Brookfield boy, 16, was charged with intentionally causing serious injury, affray and committing an indictable offence while on bail.

A Melton man, 18, was charged with affray, possessing a drug of dependence and committing an indictable offence while on bail.

Both were remanded in custody to appear in court at a later date.

A third person was arrested on August 26 after an investigation.

The 19-year-old man from Bell Park was charged with violent disorder, affray and committing an indictable offence while on bail and appeared at Geelong Magistrates’ Court.

Victoria police say all people involved are known to each other.

The investigation continues.

Any with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.



Source link