Categories
Australian News

Football player gets married in the morning, wins NPL Queensland semi-final in the evening


For most people, the last thing that should be on your mind on your wedding day would be playing football.

Yet that’s exactly what Lions FC goalkeeper Luke Borean had to deal with on Saturday, when he suited up in goal for Lions in the second-tier National Premier Leagues (NPL) Queensland semi-final, just hours after tying the knot.

The Boreans arrived at the ground in a Ferrari — with Luke still wearing his wedding suit and his new wife Ellen still in her wedding dress.

The scheduling nightmare arose as a direct result of the coronavirus pandemic, which meant the NPL season was pushed into what would normally be the off-season.

Luke Borean looks over to the right of the screen, wearing a purple goalkeeper kit
Luke Borean has played with Lions for the past four seasons.(AQUA [PD]/Lions FC: Ian Judd)

When Lions qualified for the finals, coaching staff initially thought they would be without their star keeper, who had kept nine clean sheets over the course of the 24 matches this season.

However, Borean — and his incredibly understanding new wife — decided they could do both.

Borean even pulled off a spectacular save to keep his side in the ascendancy during the 4-1 victory.

Lions coach Darren Sime said Borean told him the week before that he would be alright to play.

“I had to ask him a couple of times to confirm,” Sime said.

“He turned up, fairly nonchalantly, at training on the Tuesday and I said I’d need him to help prepare [reserve keeper] Ryan Murphy for the match.

“Obviously the club would never, ever stand in the way of a player’s wedding, you have to celebrate those moments.

“But they chose to celebrate that moment with us, which we’re really thankful for.”

Luke Borean stands with his arms wide apart as players run towards him
Luke Borean kept nine clean sheets in the 2020 NPL season.(AQUA [PD]/Lions FC: Ian Judd)

Sime said the rest of the team were “stunned” that he still turned up to play, but were genuinely moved that he had done so.

“There were definitely some open mouths — they were genuinely shocked,” Sime said.

“We had a chat in the dressing room before the game about it, and there was some genuine love there for what Luke and Ellen had done.

Although it was certainly an unconventional way to celebrate your wedding, the 4-1 victory for Lions ensured that the night ended on a high note — and a trip to the grand final next week, where they’ll take on either Olympic or last year’s champions, Gold Coast Knights.

To those saying that the new Ms Borean is a keeper, well, they’d be right.

She also plays in goal, lining up for Souths United in the NPL Queensland Women’s competition.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Married At First Sight star Stacey Hampton faces court charged with breaching coronavirus restrictions


Married At First Sight star Stacey Hampton has appeared in an Adelaide court accused of breaching coronavirus restrictions.

Hampton, 27, was charged with three counts of failing to comply with directions on May 6 this year.

At that time, essential travellers were allowed to enter South Australia without quarantining, but non-essential travellers needed to isolate for 14 days.

Court information reveals the offences are alleged to have taken place in the suburbs of Hackney, Gawler East and Ingle Farm.

Hampton appeared for the first time in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Friday morning, when her case was called on about 30 minutes early.

Magistrate Michelle Sutcliffe adjourned the matter to a date in December.

In a video posted to her Instagram account later on Friday morning, Hampton can be seen rolling a suitcase and carrying a bag.

The video appears to have been taken in the carpark of Adelaide Airport and features the caption “Bye Adelaide”.

Hampton rose to fame earlier this year on the hit Channel Nine dating show, during which she was matched with Michael Goonan — but the pair later split.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Married At First Sight star Stacey Hampton arrested, charged for flouting coronavirus restrictions


Married At First Sight star Stacey Hampton is facing three charges of breaching coronavirus restrictions after going on an interstate shopping trip when she should have been self-isolating.

Police arrested the 26-year-old at Adelaide Airport on May 6 on her way back from Melbourne, the Daily Mail reports.

At the time, essential travellers were allowed to enter South Australia without quarantine. Non-essential travellers needed to self-isolate for 14 days.

South Australia Police confirmed a 26-year-old woman had been charged with three counts for failing to comply with a direction under the Emergency Management Act.

“She has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on 30 October. No other details will be released at this time as the matter is now before the court,” a spokesperson said.

Instagram was reportedly the undoing of the law graduate, after images uploaded to her social media accounts and those of friends tipped off police to the possibility of her flouting quarantine laws while out shopping.

Text messages to a friend, revealed by the Daily Mail, lay bare the TV bride’s fears she may be in trouble.

“They have photos of us shopping at Culture Kings and Dior. This is why I got fined,” Hampton apparently wrote.

Hampton — who had been photographed at Adelaide airport wearing designer gear — had reportedly attempted to classify herself as an essential security worker through her then partner’s security business, but police allege that her position was not essential.

South Australian police reportedly held her for two hours for “failing to comply with a direction.”

“Fkn form didn’t work,” Hampton wrote to a friend on WhatsApp.

“I’m meant to be self quarantine (sic) for 14 days … I’ll be ringing them tomorrow fighting it … they tried to say security isn’t an essential service.

“I’m not isolating lol, iso aint (sic) stopping me, we have business to do.”

Police will allege that they ordered her to go directly home and isolate upon arriving in Adelaide, but officers who followed the reality star witnessed her then go and pick up her children from two separate residences.

A week after police her to self-isolate at her home in Adelaide, Hampton was pictured again at Melbourne airport.

The 26-year-old will now face Adelaide Magistrates Court on October 30, facing fines of up to $20,000 and two years jail for each count.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Married teacher’s affair with Queensland student uncovered after eight years


A Queensland teacher’s relationship with a female Year 12 student only uncovered years later when she started to work as a teacher herself.

The male teacher can go back to teaching as early as September 2022, a tribunal has found.

The pair had sex in the teacher’s car, at the student’s home and on empty beaches, the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal heard.

RELATED: Paedophile teacher jailed over porn ring

The teacher, then 28, had sex with his 17-year-old student on numerous occasions in 2008. Their relationship lasted 11 months.

Authorities didn’t find out about the affair until eight years later, after the ex-student, who had become a teacher, told another teacher.

The teacher was suspended in 2017 and the Queensland College of Teachers launched an investigation into his conduct.

The tribunal ruled on April 28 that the teacher will not be able to reapply for registration or permission to teach until September, 2022.

Before he can reapply for permission to teach, after the five-year prohibition period, from 2017, the teacher has to provide a psychological report to QCT.

“In light of these previous decisions and the mitigating factors present in the current matter we consider a prohibition period of five years to be appropriate,” the tribunal said.

These mitigating factors included the teacher’s full co-operation with investigators, and his “expressed remorse”, according to the tribunal.

The teacher told the tribunal he began flirting with his student after he slept near her at a school camp in 2007.

He then sent her emails from his personal account and arranged to meet her at night at a beach, where he kissed her.

The teacher had sex with the girl at various locations including her home, while her parents were at work, in his car and at a hotel.

During the third term the teacher arranged for them to take a day off school and they spent it at a beach, having sex in the sand dunes, the tribunal heard.

The sexual relationship continued for months after the girl left school.

“He knew his conduct was wrong and took steps to ensure the relationship was not discovered, including by using a personal email account,” a tribunal member said.



Source link