Categories
Australian News

Unemployed man jailed over $3 million ‘salary’


A Western Australian man submitted a number of claims to the tax office in a bid to pocket more than $1 million but there was just one problem.

He didn’t have a job to justify his massive taxable income, the WA District Court heard.

Reece Potter’s ruse started small, with four annual income claims alleging his employers at a meat company had withheld amounts of tax from payments to him amounting to more than $42,000 per year.

The Australian Taxation Office paid out each but from there, the not-so-cunning plan got out of hand.

It began investigating the 28-year-old when a whopping $1,002,745 was claimed for the modest job.

The ATO discovered Potter falsified his income and tax withheld to obtain a larger refund, claiming a remarkable total salary of $3 million over four years.

Potter increased his income each time he lodged a claim unaware the tax office had already begun probing his curious activity.

“This outcome highlights that people who try to cheat the tax and super systems will get caught and we will take firm action,” Assistant Commissioner Ian Read said.

“We know most people do the right thing, but this type of behaviour is blatant fraud against the Commonwealth.

“Tax crime is not victimless. Mr Potter effectively stole money from the pockets of taxpayers, money that was otherwise set to fund vital public services that the community relies upon.”

Potter was sentenced to 2.5 years behind bars and ordered to pay $42,191 in reparations.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

A man has died after trying to rescue children who were swept off rocks Woonona Beach


A man has died trying to rescue two children who were swept off rocks at Woonona Beach, NSW, on Saturday evening.

Emergency services were called to the beach, off Kurraba Road, at about 5.40pm following reports several people had been swept into the ocean.

Officers from Wollongong Police district were told two children were playing in the water when they were swept out to sea.

Bystanders used jet skis and surfboards to help the children back to shore, however, a man believed to be aged in his 40s, was pulled unconscious from the water.

A NSW Police spokesperson confirmed to news.com.au the man was trying to rescue the two children.

The Lifesaver Helicopter was called to the scene and landed near the surf club.

NSW Ambulance paramedics worked to resuscitate the man, however, he died at the scene.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

More to come.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Police release sketch of man found dead in Sydney


NSW police have released a sketch of an unidentified man found dead in Sydney earlier this year.

The body of the mystery man was found on Hunt Street in Sydney’s central Surry Hills neighbourhood on April 17.

He was carrying no ID or phone and police have still not been able to identify him.

Very little is known about the man, and police want to find out who he is so that his family can be contacted.

“Detectives have been unable to identify him and, therefore, notify his next of kin,” police wrote in a statement.

The new sketch was released on Friday along with a new plea for anyone who might recognize him to get in touch with police.

The man is described as being of Asian or South American appearance and about 170 centimetres tall with a slim build.

He is believed to have been aged in his 20s or early 30s when he died.

Police said he had the unusual characteristic of “distinctive ears with no lobes”.

He was wearing a light-blue shirt and black trousers when he was found.

Police do not believe his death was suspicious.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Melbourne woman, 81, charged with murder over death of 50-year-old man


An 81-year-old woman has been charged with murder four days after the death of a 50-year-old man in Melbourne’s north-east.

The man, believed to be the woman’s son, was found dead inside a property on Palmyra Court, Greensborough, shortly after 11.30am on Monday.

“The 81-year-old was also located inside the home and was taken to hospital under police guard,” a police spokesman said.

“She has since been interviewed and charged with one count of murder and has been remanded into custody.”

The elderly woman is due to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday. It is not known how the man died.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Man found injured at Melbourne industrial site dies


Police are investigating after the death of a man who was found injured in an industrial area in Melbourne’s west on Thursday morning.

A crime scene has been set up outside MaxiTRANS, a semi-trailer supplier on Boundary Road in Derrimut, where the injured man was found. He was given medical assistance but he died at the scene, a Victoria Police spokeswoman said.

The man was found several kilometres from another crime scene established late on Wednesday night where police were called to reports that a man was seen lying in the middle of East Derrimut Crescent just after 11.15pm.

By the time police arrived at the scene the man was no longer on the road, but a number of personal items were found, and officers from the dog squad found traces of blood in the surrounding streets.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Locals help lone cop catch wanted man


A police foot chase through a popular Sydney mall and across the rooftops, with the public pointing ‘he went thataway’, would have been befitting of a scene from a Hollywood movie.

But instead, it was real life for a Sutherland Shire Police Sergeant patrolling Cronulla Mall about 1pm on Wednesday.

After speaking with a 24-year-old man in the outdoor mall, she became aware he was wanted on several warrants including for allegedly breaching an apprehended violence order, resisting arrest, and breaching a community corrections order.

Moments later, the man allegedly bolted, with the female officer taking off in hot pursuit as shoppers looked on in amazement.

The alleged chase travelled through Cronulla Mall and adjoining backstreets before police say the assailant climbed on top of shops.

As the drama was unfolding, the public began pointing in the direction the man was running while also collecting dropped items for the officer.

One shopper even joined in on the chase “for a bit”, police said.

However, the man’s dash for freedom was short-lived, and it wasn’t long before more officers arrived to apprehend the man.

“Many thanks to those members of the public who assisted during this chase and arrest,” Sutherland Shire Police Area Command said in a statement.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Sydney man allegedly caught at double speed limit in Lamborghini


A Sydney man was allegedly driving at more than double the speed limit in a Lamborghini on one of the eastern suburb’s busiest roads last month, a court has heard.

Daniel Tigerr Evans’s license was suspended after police caught up with him on October 20, having allegedly clocked up 170km/h in an 80 zone on Syd Enfield Drive, Bondi Junction.

Mr Evans, 27, did not appear at Waverley Local Court when his matter was briefly mentioned on Wednesday.

His lawyer asked for a month-long adjournment to take further instructions with his client facing charges of driving more than 45km/h over the speed limit an dangerous driving.

Court documents allege the Sylvania man was driving a grey Lamborghini LP610-4 Huracan – with the number plate TIG3RR – at high speeds between 6.17 and 6.20pm on Tuesday, October 20.

Police will allege in court officers attempted to stop the vehicle when it accelerated and changed lanes, forcing another vehicle to take evasive action to avoid a collision, before coming to a stop on Oxford Street.

Mr Evans was issued with a court attendance notice for November 18.

He will next appear in court on December 16, when a plea is expected to be entered.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

NSW Police charge man for urinating on Hyde Park war memorial


New South Wales Police have arrested a man for allegedly urinating on the ANZAC War Memorial in Sydney’s Hyde Park.

At 12.50am on Sunday, security guards observed a 25-year-old man allegedly desecrating the important site with his urine.

Police arrested the man in a nearby apartment complex before taking him to the Day Street Police Station where he was charged with committing an offensive act to a war memorial.

He was granted conditional bail and will appear at the Downing Centre Local Court on December 9.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Man who dragged woman into laneway may avoid prison, court hears


Last month, Williams was found not guilty after a judge-only trial of intent to commit a sexual offence, but guilty of the alternative charge of common assault.

On Thursday, lawyers for both the prosecution and defence argued that a community corrections order was a sufficient sentence for the crime.

The woman was held down in the daylight attack.

The woman was held down in the daylight attack.Credit:

The court heard that Williams, who is Indigenous, had been subjected to racial abuse and other threats since his conviction. Those matters are being investigated by police.

“It is not expected that vigilante behaviour should be condoned or expected in our society,” said his defence lawyer, Rosalind Avis.

The court heard that Williams had no prior convictions and has not committed any other offences in the two years that he has been on bail since the attack.

Ms Avis argued that her client had shown remorse for his offending, acknowledging that the attack was “terrifying and can never ever be repeated”. He had been unable to give a reason for why he did it, except that he was drunk, she said.

He dragged her into Brights Place, off Little Lonsdale Street, putting a hand over her mouth as he lay on top of her.

He dragged her into Brights Place, off Little Lonsdale Street, putting a hand over her mouth as he lay on top of her.Credit:

“His actions on that night appear to be out of character and have shocked him and as a result of that he has done everything possible to address that behaviour,” she said.

The court also heard that Williams had undertaken treatment for alcohol and drug addiction at the Bunjilwarra rehabilitation centre. He has been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety.

Clinical pyschologist Alice Crole told the court that she had assessed Williams multiple times and believed his continued abstinence from alcohol was important to prevent him reoffending.

“From his non-intoxicated state, he gave me no sense that he has negative attitudes toward women,” she said.

Prosecutor Stephanie Clancy said Williams had only shown remorse for how the crime had impacted his own life, rather than how it had affected his victim.

“It was an unprovoked attack on the victim, she was simply walking past Mr Williams on her way to work,” she said. “It was cowardly.”

Ms Clancy also challenged the argument that alcohol was the key factor behind the attack. However she said that sentencing Williams to a community corrections order would not be manifestly inadequate. Williams served seven weeks in prison while on remand in 2018.

Loading

Judge Amanda Fox agreed to have Williams assessed for a community corrections order, however she left open the possibility of handing him a term in prison.

In her judgment, Judge Fox said there was clear evidence of an “intentional and violent attack”.

However she said she had no evidence of the man’s intent and found it was possible he was trying to rob or assault the woman.

The matter will return to court for sentencing on November 18.

Get our Morning & Evening Edition newsletters

The most important news, analysis and insights delivered to your inbox at the start and end of each day. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in National

Loading



Source link

Categories
Australian News

NSW Police arrest man after four hour standoff


A man has been arrested after allegedly making threats and barricading himself inside his Sydney home.

The man, 48, was taken into custody after police forced entry to his Darlinghurst unit and took him into custody at 11.30am on Tuesday.

NSW police said officers were called to Crown Street about 7.15am after the man made a number of threats and barricaded himself inside his unit.

Police cordoned off the area and began negotiating with him for more than four hours.

Officers eventually forced entry and took the man into custody.

He was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital for assessment.



Source link