An extradition hearing was set for July 20, making it the 68th court hearing in the legal saga.
Manny Waks, a prominent campaigner against sexual abuse in Melbourne’s ultra-Orthodox Jewish community, said he firmly believed Ms Leifer would fail in her appeal and ultimately face court in Australia.
“It’s unsurprising that her defence has launched this appeal. From the very start they’ve said they would do whatever they could to prolong this case,” he said.
“Of course, everyone deserves due process and the appeal is part of that. But as someone who has followed this case closely, including recent closed court hearings, I believe she has absolutely no leg to stand on and I expect this appeal will be rejected promptly and outright.”
The Jerusalem Post reported Ms Leifer’s defence team has pointed to a 2016 court decision, which found the former teacher was mentally unfit for trial, in their appeal.
Ms Leifer’s lawyers plan to present new evidence including a document by a medical doctor stating she suffering ill mental health, according to the newspaper.
A 2020 football season for the Limestone Coast will go ahead, with six teams signing up to play in a combined “super” league.
The 11-week season will begin on Saturday, July 18
The Limestone Coast Regional Football Council has deemed the venture viable, with crowds permitted and canteen functions able to resume
Chair Trevor Smart said it was a big turnaround from several months ago
Mundulla, Kybybolite, Kalangadoo, East Gambier, North Gambier and South Gambier have committed senior and reserve teams for the combined competition.
The Limestone Coast Football League formed after the recent cancellation of the Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara, Mid South Eastern and Western Border football leagues.
Games will start on Saturday, July 18 and run for 11 weeks, with a three-week finals period.
The Limestone Coast Regional Football Council said it was a viable option for clubs now coronavirus restrictions had eased in South Australia.
Chair Trevor Smart said it was a big turnaround from several months ago.
“Probably only three or four weeks ago, none of it seemed possible,” he said.
Mr Smart said easing restrictions had changed that.
“[It’s] a good opportunity for all the clubs, and a good opportunity for the region as well,” Mr Smart said.
Mr Smart said there was plenty of positive feedback to spark a 2020 season.
“I think there’s a lot of excitement and interest in how the season will play out with teams represented across all three leagues, including last year’s three premiers,” he said.
“We’ve received some real positive feedback from clubs and the general public as well.
“Regional football and all sports are a huge part of our social fabric, so [people are looking forward to] just being able to get out there and interact with each other, catch up… just have a good chat and watch the football.”
A Cameron Smith penalty goal in golden-point extra time has given Melbourne a thrilling 27-25 win over Sydney Roosters in Brisbane.
Luke Keary and Ryan Papenhuyzen trade field goals to force the match into golden point
The Storm had trailed the Roosters by 10 points late in the match
Jake Friend was penalised during golden point, allowing Cameron Smith to kick the winning penalty goal
The Storm had led by two with two minutes to play at Lang Park, before a Kyle Flanagan penalty goal squared the ledger and Luke Keary’s field goal in the following set gave the Roosters a seemingly decisive one-point lead with 45 seconds left.
But the Storm regained possession off the short kick-off and forced the extra period with a 33-metre Ryan Papenhuyzen field goal with less than 10 seconds on the clock, before Smith slotted the winning penalty goal.
After trailing by 10 points with less than 10 minutes remaining, Jahrome Hughes and Paul Momirovski scored for the Storm.
Smith, who started the match in the halves for the first time since 2014, converted from the sideline to put the Storm up by two with six minutes to play.
But Roosters half-back Flanagan and five-eighth Keary, then Storm full-back Papenhuyzen were all similarly on target in the clutch.
The dramatic clash was ironically sealed in somewhat mundane fashion by Smith, when he potted a penalty goal from straight in front of the posts after Roosters hooker Jake Friend was penalised for a ruck infringement.
The win is the 299th first-grade victory of Smith’s storied career.
Injury was added to insult for the Roosters in the extra period with Daniel Tupou and Boyd Cordner both escorted off the field.
Tupou appeared to suffer a leg injury while Cordner was left groggy after his head hit the ground in a tackle.
The dramatic finish overshadowed an attacking masterclass by the Morris brothers that had put the Roosters on the verge of a sixth straight win.
Josh Morris scored a double while Brett scored another to take the duo’s combined tally of NRL tries past 300.
Their efforts and Brett setting up Flanagan for the opener of the match had countered Melbourne’s efforts by Josh Addo-Carr and Hughes.
The Storm half-back made it a double with a solo effort to spark the comeback in the 71st minute.
Victory lifts the Storm up to second on the ladder, while the Roosters are fourth after their third loss of the season.
“Spurling House was the architectural innovation that introduced the iconic North American shingle style home to Melbourne back in 1888.’’
The heritage listed home was built for Phillis Spurling by the Canadian architect John Horbury Hunt, one of the first important North American architects to practise in Australia. Spurling House is his only known work in Victoria.
Spurling House was then included in the Victorian Heritage Register in 1974 for its architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
The design is notable for being the first Victorian house to be built in the Shingle style, a North American technique that used organic materials in a way that elevated their natural qualities.
In January, the owner of the historic 131-year-old house lost their battle with the Heritage Council to demolish the property after arguing the 2015 fire had left the property uninhabitable because it is infested with mould.
At the time, Heritage Victoria said the demolition would result in the complete loss of the cultural heritage significance of the place.
Heritage Victoria subsequently issued two repair orders to the house’s owner, which required works to be carried out to prevent the further deterioration of the building.
This prompted the owner to launch an appeal against the repair orders in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Spurling House has since been demolished in compliance with an emergency order issued by the City of Bayside, following the most recent fire.
Heritage Victoria said there were about 2300 places included on the Victorian Heritage Register including Flinders Street Railway Station, Parliament House, the Murtoa Stick Shed and the Brighton Bathing Boxes.
It is an offence under the Heritage Act 2017 to demolish, damage or despoil a place on the Victorian Heritage Register. Anyone convicted faces fines of up to $793,056 and, or five years’ jail.
Moorabbin Crime Investigation Unit detectives are investigating whether both attacks are linked.
A police spokeswoman said a person previously contacted Crime Stoppers regarding this matter with investigators believing there are others who may also have information.
Police are urging these people, or anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at crimestoppersvic.com.au.
Erin covers crime for The Age. Most recently she was a police reporter at the Geelong Advertiser.
South Australia Police have launched an internal investigation after an officer was filmed appearing to punch an Aboriginal man on the ground during an arrest last night.
Video of the arrest in the Adelaide suburb of Kilburn went viral after being posted to social media.
It shows three officers attempting to detain the man as a woman can be heard screaming, “Get off his head.”
One of the officers appears to strike the man in the head.
In a statement this afternoon, SA Police said the officers were responding to an “alleged high-risk domestic violence matter where a woman was taken to hospital and the offender was not known at the time”.
As they approached the house at about 8.15pm, “they saw a man leaving the area of the house on a bicycle”.
“Police at this time advised the man that they had suspicions concerning him being in possession of illicit drugs. He was asked to place his hands on his head while a search of his person was undertaken,” the statement said.
“The man originally was compliant and after a short time he began to refuse. Police attempted to arrest the man who resisted and a struggle ensued. Police and the man went to the ground as police attempted to restrain and handcuff him.”
Police say one of the officer’s body cameras was grabbed during the struggle and only parts of it have been recovered.
They say they were then “confronted by a number of other nearby residents who became agitated”.
“Police called for urgent assistance. Defensive spray was deployed and other police arrived,” the statement said.
“There is video footage of the incident that has been published on social media. The video shows a rear view of a police officer appearing to strike the man on the ground. An internal investigation has commenced and will be conducted in strict accordance with the statutory provisions outlined in the Police Complaints and Discipline Act 2016.”
SA Police say the investigation will be led by a “senior police officer” and that the matter will be “taken very seriously”.
The 28-year-old Kilburn man in the video was initially arrested and charged with hindering police, resisting police and property damage.
He has been released from custody while the incident is investigated further.
Police say both the man and one of the officers received “minor injuries”.
On Saturday 30 May, after bad weather halted the first attempt a few days earlier, history was made when NASA launched the SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule from the Kennedy Space Centre in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
The event marked the first crewed space mission to be launched into orbit from US soil since 2011 and the first commercially built spacecraft, initiating a new era in human spaceflight. With unprecedented access, Discovery documented the event, and now viewers will be able to experience this momentous occasion like never before with two 2-hour specials set to air next weekend.
Space Launch: America Returns To Space premieres Sunday 14 June at 8:30pm and takes viewers inside NASA and SpaceX’s joint mission to launch veteran astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the International Space Station (ISS) on the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft.
The coverage features appearances by global superstar Katy Perry, MythBusters star Adam Savage, former NASA engineer and YouTube sensation Mark Rober and more. It also includes expert insight by former astronauts Mike Massimino and Karen Nyberg, active astronauts Jessica Meir and K. Megan McArthur and NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine as well as an interview with Astronaut Chris Cassidy from the International Space Station (ISS).
Having secured more access to the event that any other network, not only does Discovery take viewers inside this historic launch, but also showcases the incredible achievements of those who made it happen. Discovery spent over a year documenting SpaceX’s race to become the first private company to launch American astronauts into space.
In the lead up to the launch special on Sunday night, Discovery will air the 2-hour documentary, NASA & SpaceX: Journey To The Future on Saturday 13 June 8:30pm which charts the incredible journey to the launch.
With unprecedented and exclusive access to NASA and the SpaceX headquarters, the documentary gives viewers a rare glimpse inside Launch Control and first-hand accounts from SpaceX Founder and Chief Engineer ElonMusk, Astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley and NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. NASA & SpaceX: Journey To The Future reveals the behind-the-scenes action with the teams of SpaceX engineers, NASA employees and scientists as they fulfill the SpaceX mission to “fly, test, and fix” their way to the ISS – with the goal of eventually flying to the moon and to Mars.
Space Launch: America Returns To Space
Australian Premiere (1×120) Stream or watch Sunday 14 June at 8:30pm on Discovery
NASA & SpaceX: Journey To The Future
Australian Premiere (1×120) Stream or watch Saturday 13 June at 8:30pm on Discovery
At the weekend, Elon Musk’s commercial giant SpaceX launched two NASA astronauts in a spacecraft named Crew Dragon which, from the inside, looked like a souped-up Tesla.
The Falcon 9 rocket launched the spacecraft, returned to Earth and landed on a ship to later be re-used. And the Crew Dragon eventually docked autonomously with the International Space Station (ISS).
The flight marks the first time in history:
a commercial company has launched astronauts
a crewed spacecraft has docked with the ISS while “self-driving” and
a reusable rocket has been used to launch people, which can help cut down on debris re-entering the atmosphere, such as the rocket pieces that recently burned up over Victoria and Tasmania.
SpaceX has well and truly revolutionized space travel. But what does this mean for the many Australian companies making up a new space sector Down Under?
A burgeoning local industry
Globally, the space sector is worth at least US$415 billion, and is expected to grow to US$1 trillion over the next decade. By then, the Australian space sector is also expected to be worth A$12 billion.
An estimated 770 Australian entities already develop space-related infrastructure. This includes satellites, and technologies for telecommunications or television, bushfire monitoring, weather and climate tracking, search and rescue, navigation, deep space research, and defense and security.
In 2018, the Australian Space Agency (ASA) was established with a mandate to the support Australian space industry, rather than develop a national civil space program.
The global commercial space sector is now watching Australia with excitement, and possibly some envy. Many countries over-regulate their space industries, or fail to give them legislative support. But Australia is a new entrant to the space sector that benefits from full government support through an industry-dedicated space agency.
The commercialisation of spacefaring
The 20th century space race began with government programs spurred by a technological and ideological competition between the US and the Soviet Union. However, today’s space race is highly commercial.
Rather than large, expensive technologies developed for single purposes by government agencies, we’re now in an era of “NewSpace”. This is a term associated with small and medium sized companies developing smaller, lighter, and therefore cheaper technologies that can be repurposed and turned into “off the shelf” components.
Australian companies excel at this, as demonstrated by Gilmour, Neumann Space – which has a unique thrust technology for small satellites—and Myriota, a world leader in groundbreaking Internet of Things (IoT) technologies.
Giants such as SpaceX and Blue Origin are developing NewSpace technologies alongside their larger launch projects, and smaller companies benefit from their success when it comes negotiating public-private partnerships.
Innovative mindsets pave the way
Even the opening of our own spaceport in East Arnhem land, expected by early 2021, is thanks to industry innovation.
According to a report released in May by accounting organization KPMG, by 2030 every business will be a “space business.” The report suggests humans will live, work and holiday in space, and will be mining the moon for water and minerals.
And while human space flight from Australian shores may not be on the horizon, SpaceX’s launch is a beacon of hope for local commercial entities—especially because they push new technologies faster than government programs tethered to budgets and low-risk approaches.
Moreover, the ASA is considering entering into an Artemis Accord with the US. The launch technology demonstrated by SpaceX this weekend will be part of the Artemis program, which aims to return humans to the moon by 2024.
So although the national and global economy reels from the impacts of COVID-19 shutdowns, the global space economy continues to boom. And with Australia’s space industry taking off, the sky is definitely not the limit.
SpaceX’s historic launch gives Australia’s booming space industry more room to fly (2020, June 2)
retrieved 2 June 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.