Categories
Australian News

Married At First Sight star Stacey Hampton arrested, charged for flouting coronavirus restrictions


Married At First Sight star Stacey Hampton is facing three charges of breaching coronavirus restrictions after going on an interstate shopping trip when she should have been self-isolating.

Police arrested the 26-year-old at Adelaide Airport on May 6 on her way back from Melbourne, the Daily Mail reports.

At the time, essential travellers were allowed to enter South Australia without quarantine. Non-essential travellers needed to self-isolate for 14 days.

South Australia Police confirmed a 26-year-old woman had been charged with three counts for failing to comply with a direction under the Emergency Management Act.

“She has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on 30 October. No other details will be released at this time as the matter is now before the court,” a spokesperson said.

Instagram was reportedly the undoing of the law graduate, after images uploaded to her social media accounts and those of friends tipped off police to the possibility of her flouting quarantine laws while out shopping.

Text messages to a friend, revealed by the Daily Mail, lay bare the TV bride’s fears she may be in trouble.

“They have photos of us shopping at Culture Kings and Dior. This is why I got fined,” Hampton apparently wrote.

Hampton — who had been photographed at Adelaide airport wearing designer gear — had reportedly attempted to classify herself as an essential security worker through her then partner’s security business, but police allege that her position was not essential.

South Australian police reportedly held her for two hours for “failing to comply with a direction.”

“Fkn form didn’t work,” Hampton wrote to a friend on WhatsApp.

“I’m meant to be self quarantine (sic) for 14 days … I’ll be ringing them tomorrow fighting it … they tried to say security isn’t an essential service.

“I’m not isolating lol, iso aint (sic) stopping me, we have business to do.”

Police will allege that they ordered her to go directly home and isolate upon arriving in Adelaide, but officers who followed the reality star witnessed her then go and pick up her children from two separate residences.

A week after police her to self-isolate at her home in Adelaide, Hampton was pictured again at Melbourne airport.

The 26-year-old will now face Adelaide Magistrates Court on October 30, facing fines of up to $20,000 and two years jail for each count.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Protesters arrested at an anti-lockdown Melbourne Freedom March


A man is confronted by a police officer at the anti-lockdown protest.

A man is confronted by a police officer at the anti-lockdown protest.Credit:Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

One of the event organisers is expected to be charged on summons with further offences. This man is not one of the two organisers who were arrested on Thursday.

Twenty-four of the fines were issued for leaving home for a non-essential reason. One person was fined $200 for not wearing a mask.

Police arrested two men who helped organised the protest on Thursday night.

In a statement released on Friday morning, a spokeswoman said an investigation was launched to find those responsible for organising the gathering.

Officers raided two properties, one in Mooroolbark and another in Chirnside Park, where mobile phones and a computer were seized.

They charged a 41-year-old man from Mooroolbark with incitement. The offence, in the Crimes Act, involves a person inciting someone else to pursue a course of conduct which will involve the commission of an offence.

Police question members of the public not wearing a mask in Melbourne's CBD.

Police question members of the public not wearing a mask in Melbourne’s CBD.Credit:Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

The man was bailed and is due to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on January 21 next year.

A 41-year-old male from Chirnside Park was also arrested on Thursday night, but was later released pending summons.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Second man arrested over 2017 murder of Mark Boyce in Adelaide


A second man has been charged with murder over the 2017 death of Mark Boyce, SA Police says.

Mr Boyce was assaulted by three men at Elizabeth South, north of the Adelaide CBD, and died in hospital of his injuries.

Two cars transported the attackers to and from the scene and, in September 2019, one of the vehicles was located on a Hells Angels Motorcycle Club property at Ponde.

The car was found four metres underground, cut up and burned.

Head of the SA Police Major Crime Investigation Branch, Detective Superintendent Des Bray, said the recovery of the vehicle “opened up quite a lot of investigation opportunities”.

“The investigation steadily progressed over the last nine months to the point where we‘ve now been able to arrest a 31-year-old man from Gulfview Heights, who was arrested at his workplace at Lonsdale this morning,” he told reporters on Wednesday.

The accused man will appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court later on Wednesday.

Hells Angels bikie Joshua Roy Grant was the first man to be charged with Mr Grant’s murder and, after a trial, was convicted in June 2019.

Supt Bray said the development was significant for police.

“This has been a challenging and lengthy inquiry, which will continue as we seek to build a brief of evidence against the third suspect,” he said.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Trucking company worker arrested, charged with manslaughter


A man has been arrested and charged with manslaughter over the horrifying crash on the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne on April 22, which killed four police officers.

Detectives arrested the Simeon Tuteru, 49, in Lyndhurst at about 9:20am on Saturday.

He was charged with four counts of manslaughter, and granted bail at an out of session court hearing on Saturday night.

Mr Tuteru is the Victorian manager of Connect Logistics, the company that owned the truck involved in the crash.

Lynette Taylor, Glen Humphris, Joshua Prestney and Kevin King were killed on duty after police intercepted a Porsche, which was allegedly travelling at more than 140km/h.

All four officers were standing in the emergency lane of the freeway, deciding to impound the car, when the truck drove into them.

RELATED: Horrific truck crash leaves four police officers dead

The driver of the Porsche, 41-year-old Richard Pusey, has since been charged with nine offences, which include driving at a dangerous speed, reckless conduct endangering life, and failing to render assistance.

He allegedly verbally abused one of the officers, Senior Constable Taylor, after the crash, before fleeing the scene.

The driver of the truck, Mohinder Singh Bajwa, was charged with four counts of culpable driving causing death after a joint investigation by the Major Collision Investigative Unit and the Homicide Squad.

RELATED: Porsche driver hands himself in after ‘fleeing scene’

RELATED: Truck driver charged over Eastern Freeway crash

RELATED: Body cam footage reveals dying officer’s last moments

The trucking company, Connect Logistics, has faced intense scrutiny in the wake of the tragedy.

In May, Victoria police travelled to New South Wales and raided the company’s head office in Riverstone, seizing a number of documents, including log books.

New South Wales Police then penalised Connect Logistics for a string of safety breaches, including truck defects and the use of overworked and fatigued drivers.

Seven News Melbourne was the first to report that Mr Tuteru was the man arrested on Saturday.

Mr Singh has apologised for the officers’ deaths. He spoke via a statement released by his lawyer in early May.

“Mr Singh is genuinely sorry and saddened that four people have lose their lives as a result of the collision,” the short statement reads.

“He is acutely aware of the impact upon the families, friends and work colleagues of those that lost their lives.”

He did not apply for bail when he faced court, and is due to return for a committal mention on October 1.

Funerals have been held for all four officers. A state memorial service will take place when coronavirus measures are lifted.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

‘Selfish’ woman from border checkpoint video arrested, window smashed


Loading

“During the arrest, police were forced to break the woman’s car window as she refused to speak to them, wind down her window, or step out of the vehicle,” the spokesman said.

“The woman has been released pending summons for traffic-related offences, failing to produce a licence, failing to produce name and address, and breaches of the Chief Health Officer’s directives.”

Victorian Police Minister Lisa Neville lambasted the woman’s actions last Friday.

“Let’s be incredibly clear, that footage shows an incredibly selfish person who deliberately attempted to cause issues for police,” she said.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Sleeping Victorian arrested in South Australia for coronavirus breach


A sleeping Victorian man was arrested in South Australia on Friday afternoon for allegedly breaching coronavirus directions.

The man was found a car parked near a cemetery at Renmark, a town near the Victorian border.

A member of the public flagged down a police patrol to report a suspicious vehicle parked near the cemetery at Renmark West.

Police found the man sleeping in the car. Checks revealed he had been refused entry to South Australia about 2.30am that morning.

The 39-year-old man from Victoria was arrested and charged with failing to comply with COVID-19 directions.

He was refused police bail and was taken to the Adelaide City Watch House. He is expected to appear in court via video link on Monday.

RELATED: Follow our live coronavirus updates

RELATED: Military confronting Victorians at home

It’s the latest in a number of arrests related to border control. Earlier in the week, three Victorians were arrested in Adelaide after claiming they needed to cross the border for emergency medical treatment.

Another three men tried to stow away on a train from Victoria to Adelaide.

Two Adelaide men were also arrested after being accused of speeding through a border crossing.



Source link

Categories
Business

Two more ex-Wirecard managers arrested, ex-CEO back in custody


Wirecard filed for protection from creditors through an insolvency proceeding on June 25 after executives admitted that €1.9 billion that had been represented as being held in trust accounts in the Philippines probably did not exist. The company said it is investigating the scope of its business handling payments through regional third parties, a major source of profits, and how that business was being conducted.

Leiding said prosecutors believe that the four suspects arrested, along with others, agreed in 2015 to inflate Wirecard’s balance sheet by faking income from business with so-called third-party acquirers, making it more attractive to potential investors.

Wirecard collapsed after disclosing a gaping hole in its books in Germany's worst accounting scandal.

Wirecard collapsed after disclosing a gaping hole in its books in Germany’s worst accounting scandal. Credit:Bloomberg

“In reality, it was clear to the suspects by the end of 2015 at the latest that Wirecard was losing money overall with its actual business,” she said. The suspects initiated talks that resulted in banks in Germany and Japan – along with other investors hoodwinked by the over-rosy annual accounts – providing some €3.2 billion in total, Leiding said. The money is probably lost now that the company is insolvent, she added.

Leiding wouldn’t break down the potential charges against the individual suspects, but said they include fraud, breach of trust, misrepresentation and market manipulation.

The Wirecard debacle has raised questions about the effectiveness of German financial regulation, and about who in the government knew what when. The German parliament’s finance committee plans a special meeting next Wednesday, which the finance and economy ministers are expected to attend. Officials also have acknowledged that the chancellery was in contact with Wirecard advisers.

Loading

The scandal has been viewed as a setback for the investment climate and attempts to promote the country as a base for financial services companies.

The whereabouts of one key figure at Wirecard — former chief operating officer Jan Marsalek, who was fired last month — remain unclear. Recent media reports have suggested that he may have fled to Belarus or Russia.

Asked where Marsalek is, Leiding replied: “You tell me.”

“It is obvious that we are trying to get in contact with everyone who may have been involved, but I can’t say anything about that,” she added.

AP



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Rental manager arrested after alleged involvement in Melbourne drug crop houses


Three men were arrested, including a 68-year-old man who police allege was using his position as a rental property manager to mask his involvement in several crop houses across the north-western suburbs.

He was charged with cultivating and trafficking a commercial quantity of cannabis and obtaining financial advantage by deception.

A 22-year-old man and a 25-year-old man from Roxburgh Park were also arrested and charged with trafficking a commercial quantity of methylamphetamine.

The 22-year-old and 68-year-old were due to face the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday night, while the 25-year-old was remanded in custody to appear at Port Macquarie Court on July 22.

One of the men arrested on Tuesday.

One of the men arrested on Tuesday. Credit:Victoria Police

The arrests come after two men – a 22-year-old Roxburgh Park man and 23-year-old Meadow Heights man – were charged on July 13 in relation to the same investigation.

During earlier raids in Roxburgh Park, Craigieburn, Glenroy, Meadow Heights and Reservoir, police found three stolen firearms, methylamphetamine, cocaine, ecstasy and over 100 plants believed to be cannabis, which were allegedly being grown across two residential premises.

They also found $21,000 in cash, suspected to be the proceeds of crime.

The two men arrested on July 13 were charged with cultivating a commercial quantity of a narcotic plant and possessing a traffickable quantity of unregistered firearms.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Man arrested over fatal Pyrmont stabbing


A man has been arrested after another man died following a stabbing in Sydney yesterday.

About 8am on Thursday, emergency services were called to the apartment complex on Bunn Street, following reports of a stabbing.

Officers from Sydney City Police Area Command attended and found a 44-year-old man suffering multiple stab wounds. He died at the scene.

Police have been told that the man, a building employee, had been involved in an altercation with a man known to him prior to being stabbed.

A crime scene has been established which is continuing to be examined by specialist forensic police.

Detectives have established Strike Force Azoic to investigate the man’s death.

Following inquires, a 41-year-old man was arrested just after 7pm yesterday on Macquarie Street near Smith Street, Parramatta, before being taken to Westmead Hospital under police guard for observation.

Inquiries continue.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Guy Sebastian’s former manager arrested over alleged $1.15m fraud


Guy Sebastian’s ex-manager has been arrested in Sydney over charges he allegedly defrauded the singer of more than $1.15 million over seven years.

Titus Day, 47, was arrested at a home in Bondi just after 6.30pm Thursday, NSW Police said in a statement.

Police inquiries allegedly revealed multiple fraud offences committed between December 2013 and April 2020.

He was taken to Waverley Police Station, where he is expected to be charged with fraud-related offences.

Day allegedly knowingly withheld proceeds from Sebastian’s work over a seven-year-period, according to The Daily Telegraph.

This arrest comes amid a furious court battle between the pair, with each claiming to be owed hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Sebastian claims Day owes him $200,000 over an alleged breach of contract and unpaid fees, while the singer’s former manager says he is owed $800,000.

Day previously told The Sydney Morning Herald that his business was “crippled” due to money allegedly owed by Sebastian.

“Guy terminated the management contract after 11-and-a-half years without notice and then refused to pay me commissions on any work that I did, even for events that had been completed. That crippled my business,” he told the publication.

“All income that is earned comes to the manager first and then is paid on after commissions are deducted. That’s how management deals work. Any money I am holding from royalties or otherwise is a fraction of what he refused to pay me as commissions for work I did as his manager.”

The pair worked together for more than 11 years before going their separate ways in 2017.

At the time Day said he was “very sad to be losing Guy as a client”.

Day’s management agency, 6 Degrees Management, went into liquidation in July last year.

He had previously represented other Australian celebrities including Sophie Monk and Shannon Noll.



Source link