Categories
Australian News

Man charged over alleged sexual abuse of two children in state’s Central West


A man accused of sexually abusing two young children in the state’s central west will front court on Thursday.

Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad started investigating the case following reports two children had been sexually abused by a man known to them.

Police allege the man sexually abused a young girl and boy, then aged eight and 14, at Coonamble between 2013 and 2014.

Following extensive investigations, a 30-year-old man was arrested on July 2 and charged with four counts of sexual intercourse with a person under the age of 10 years, four counts of committing an act of indecency with a victim under 10 years and the indecent assault of a person under 16 years of age.

He was refused bail and will appear at Gunnedah Local Court on Thursday.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Collingwood’s Jordan De Goey charged with indecent assault over alleged 2015 incident



Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has been charged with indecent assault over an alleged incident from 2015.

The Magpies confirmed the charge in a brief statement on Saturday afternoon, saying it related to “an historical incident”.

“At Collingwood’s insistence, and with full-co-operation from De Goey, the matter was investigated by the AFL Integrity Unit and Victoria Police in 2018. No charges were laid,” Collingwood said in the statement.

“De Goey will remain in the Collingwood football program while the legal process takes its course.

“Neither Collingwood nor De Goey is in a position to make further comment.”

Victoria Police said that two men would face court on October 30.

“Detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad have charged two people in relation to a reported sexual assault,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

“Two 24-year-olds, one from Hampton East and one from Clematis, have both been charged with indecent assault and bailed to appear at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.”

The 24-year-old De Goey was part of the Magpies side that lost to Essendon on Friday night.

The sixth-year player was taken by Collingwood at pick five of the 2014 AFL Draft.

He led the Magpies goalkicking list in 2018, kicking three goals in Collingwood’s grand final loss to West Coast.

The Magpies will leave Victoria next week as all Melbourne-based clubs relocate due to the state’s new COVID-19 outbreak.

They will face Hawthorn in a round-six clash on Friday night at Giants Stadium in Sydney.

ABC/AAP



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Guy Sebastian’s former manager arrested over alleged $1.15m fraud


Guy Sebastian’s ex-manager has been arrested in Sydney over charges he allegedly defrauded the singer of more than $1.15 million over seven years.

Titus Day, 47, was arrested at a home in Bondi just after 6.30pm Thursday, NSW Police said in a statement.

Police inquiries allegedly revealed multiple fraud offences committed between December 2013 and April 2020.

He was taken to Waverley Police Station, where he is expected to be charged with fraud-related offences.

Day allegedly knowingly withheld proceeds from Sebastian’s work over a seven-year-period, according to The Daily Telegraph.

This arrest comes amid a furious court battle between the pair, with each claiming to be owed hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Sebastian claims Day owes him $200,000 over an alleged breach of contract and unpaid fees, while the singer’s former manager says he is owed $800,000.

Day previously told The Sydney Morning Herald that his business was “crippled” due to money allegedly owed by Sebastian.

“Guy terminated the management contract after 11-and-a-half years without notice and then refused to pay me commissions on any work that I did, even for events that had been completed. That crippled my business,” he told the publication.

“All income that is earned comes to the manager first and then is paid on after commissions are deducted. That’s how management deals work. Any money I am holding from royalties or otherwise is a fraction of what he refused to pay me as commissions for work I did as his manager.”

The pair worked together for more than 11 years before going their separate ways in 2017.

At the time Day said he was “very sad to be losing Guy as a client”.

Day’s management agency, 6 Degrees Management, went into liquidation in July last year.

He had previously represented other Australian celebrities including Sophie Monk and Shannon Noll.



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

CFMMEU official in hospital after alleged assault at Hawthorn East site


A spokeswoman for the CFMMEU said two officials had arrived on site with “all their paperwork in order” when they were “attacked and jumped” by up to seven men.

She said one of the men was knocked unconscious after being struck in the back of the head with some kind of object. He was taken to hospital and has since woken up but was “not in great shape”, she said.

The investigation is now in the hands of police. They are on site investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Toorak Road is closed in both directions between Auburn Road and Tooronga Road due to the incident.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Woman dies after alleged stabbing witnessed by children in Rockhampton, police say


A 42-year-old woman has died after she was allegedly stabbed in front of her two young children in Central Queensland.

Police say they were called to an address in Rockhampton shortly after 6.30pm on Tuesday following reports a woman had been stabbed multiple times.

Neighbours said they saw two young children run from the property screaming, The Courier Mail reports.

When officers arrived at the Brae Street address, they found the woman and attempted CPR, but she died at the scene.

A 45-year-old man was found a short time later with what were believed to be self-inflicted injuries.

He was taken to hospital in a serious condition and is now in police custody.

Police say the man and woman knew each other.

Speaking at the property on Tuesday night, Detective Senior Sergeant Luke Peachey said the children were “distraught” after the “tragic” incident.

“Circumstances and what occurred here tonight will be under investigation long into the night and I’d say into the upcoming days,” he said.

“We are speaking to a number of witnesses … very tragic events tonight given the actual incident appears to be witnessed by two young children.

“We will obviously be dealing with those two young children tonight and providing them with the care that they need.”

“Obviously they are distraught … they have witnessed their mother tragically become deceased,” he added.

A crime scene has been established and investigations are continuing.

– With wires



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Adem Somyurek’s alleged branch-stacking warrants expulsion from Victorian Labor Party


Labor’s rule book could not be clearer. Those involved in branch stacking, which it interprets as enrolling persons for the principal purpose of influencing the outcome of ballots of members, should be expelled from the party. The sensational revelations detailing Victorian minister and right-wing powerbroker Adem Somyurek’s industrial-scale branch-stacking operation in his quest to accumulate power within the state and federal party should be an open and shut case for his expulsion.

And yet this is a political party that for decades has turned a blind eye to branch stacking and has all but revered the backroom factional powerbrokers who have partaken in the practice in a bid to control factions, advance their causes and reward supporters. While not as publicly visible, the Liberal Party also at times resorts to the same tactics.

Accusations of branch stacking against Mr Somyurek have been levelled at him in the past, with a senior union official accusing him of recruiting up to 4000 members, about a quarter of the party’s state membership. Despite demands for an investigation, little was done and, incredibly, several months later Mr Somyurek was returned to the ministry after being dumped a few years before over allegations of systemic bullying, abuse and intimidation. He is now overseeing new laws stamping out corruption in local councils.

But this time Mr Somyurek has been caught red-handed ordering others to forge signatures and create dozens of false statements in which Labor branch members claim to have paid for their own memberships when the minister or his political operatives have footed the bill. He openly talks about directing taxpayer-funded parliamentary employees, who say they have the backing of their bosses to conduct party political operations. His misogynist and derogatory language is also disgraceful.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Paramedics flee ambulance after alleged threats from patient in Sydney


A young man will face court later this month after police alleged he threatened two female paramedics on the way to hospital in Sydney.

In footage obtained by Nine, one of the NSW Ambulance crew is heard on her radio calling for help.

“We’re on foot, we’ve left the car, he’s threatening to kill us,” she says.

It’s not clear whether either of the women activated their duress button for urgent assistance but they were reportedly wearing body cameras.

Vision of the scene at Greystanes in the early hours of Saturday morning shows the vehicle stopped on the side of the road.

Police said emergency services had attended a home on Canal Rd “to assist a man” at 3.30am but while transporting him to hospital, “the man is alleged to have become aggressive and threatened the two female paramedics”.

“They pulled over on Beechwood Rd and called for assistance while seeking refuge in a nearby house,” police said in a statement.

In the call, made about 4am, one of the women is heard saying they have made it “inside the residence”.

“People have let us in, we are safe but still require armed assistance,” she says.

Following inquiries, officers arrested 20-year-old Ehtesham Ghaffar at Westmead Hospital about 10am on Saturday.

He was taken to Granville Police Station and charged with two counts of “intimidate, obstruct etc person in exercise of functions”.

Each of his charges under the NSW Public Health Act 2010 carry a maximum penalty of $11,000 and/or imprisonment for six months.

Ghaffar was granted conditional bail and spoke to Nine outside the police station.

He denied lashing out at the ambulance crew.

“I’m like ‘can you help me? I can’t breathe’ and they’re not giving me any response, they’re just looking at me,” he said.

“And I’m just telling them ‘help me, help me, help me’”.

He claimed one of the paramedics ran from the ambulance after he grabbed his mobile phone.

Ghaffar is due to appear at Fairfield Local Court on June 24.



Source link

Categories
Business

Real estate agent lodges claim for more than $743,000 in alleged unpaid commissions


A commercial real estate agent has lodged a claim in the Federal Court for more than $743,000 in allegedly unpaid commissions.

Dane Crawford was a senior member of the Colliers International commercial real estate agency in Newcastle before he resigned last year.

In a statement of claim lodged in the Federal Court, Dane Crawford says he handed in his resignation based on representations that Colliers International made about the amount of his outstanding commissions.

In the claim, Mr Crawford says when he discussed resigning with his employer, he was told he would be entitled to half of the 50 per cent of gross commission on contracts that had been exchanged but not yet settled. He said he went ahead with the resignation on this understanding.

Mr Crawford is claiming he would not have resigned had he not been entitled to the commissions. According to the claim, following Mr Crawford’s resignation, Colliers advised him he was owed $297,500 in commissions. Mr Crawford claims this was an alleged breach of his contract which entitled him to a base salary and 50 per cent commission on revenue earned above $180,000 and 10 per cent on revenue below that amount.



Source link

Categories
Australian News

Trio charged after alleged elaborate gold mine theft of $270k and safe


Three men have been charged after allegedly stealing $270,000 of raw gold ore and a two-tonne safe from a mine in Western Australia.

One of the men has links to the Gypsy Joker bikies, WA Police said in a statement today.

Detectives from the Gold Stealing Detection Unit had been investigating the “stealing incident” in the Goldfields-Esperance region, in the state’s southeast, in April this year.

Police allege the men stole a front-end loader from the site to put a two-tonne safe onto a four-wheel-drive before using another 4WD to block an access road to the gold mine.

“All vehicles were stolen from the site,” police said.

“The safe was located after a member of the public reported suspicious activity and explosions in bushland between Kambalda and Kalgoorlie.

“Police attended the scene and located one stolen 4WD vehicle and the safe which was still intact.”

A 28-year-old man with links to the Gypsy Jokers has been charged with aggravated burglary and stealing, three counts of stealing a motor vehicle and criminal damage.

A 30-year-old man and 37-year-old man, not linked to the bikies, are facing the same charges, along with the unlicensed possession of ammunition and prohibited drugs (meth), possession of drug paraphernalia and unlawfully obtained property.

The men, all from Boulder in the Eastern Goldfields region, are due to appear before Kalgoorlie Magistrates Court on Thursday.

The Gold Stealing Detection Unit provides a “dedicated specialist investigation service to the gold industry” in WA including response and investigation “aimed at the detection, apprehension and prosecution of offenders involved in gold theft”, according to police.

“With frequent patrols, the GSDU also provides the only regular policing service to many isolated gold mining operations.”



Source link

Categories
Local News - Victoria

Man charged over alleged hit-run death of former school principal


He will appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

Ms Locco lost her husband, Frank, in 2017 and left behind three children, one of whom followed in their mother’s footsteps as a schoolteacher.

The educator had a long and successful career. She was a mathematics teacher, acting principal at Chandler Secondary College, principal at South Oakleigh Secondary College and held senior managerial roles in the Victorian Education Department including as acting regional director of the south-eastern region.

She was awarded an Australian Council for Educational Leaders fellowship last year.

The Education Department expressed the sadness they said was being felt across the Victorian education system.

“Deb was a much-loved and admired colleague … known to thousands of Victorian educators through her career,” a department spokesman said.

“She had a clear sense of purpose and deep strength of character, nowhere more evident than in the dignity and fortitude with which she faced the tragic death of her husband.”

Helen Koziaris, principal at South Oakleigh Secondary College, said the school community was grieving at the loss of “not only a professional colleague but a friend to all who shaped and drove educational change and supported staff, students and parents in their day-to-day lives”.

Beach Road has a renowned cycling trail stretching 17 kilometres of the bayside foreshore, with dedicated bike lanes.

Nine News reported the woman was wearing reflective gear, had lights on and was cycling in the bike lane.

On Sunday, police said there had been 92 deaths on Victorian roads so far this year compared to 124 at the same time in 2019.



Source link