Categories
News

Doutta Galla Aged Care and Grant Lodge employees test positive to coronavirus in Melbourne


Two Melbourne aged care facilities have gone into lockdown after staff members tested positive to coronavirus.

Doutta Galla Aged Care Home in Footscray and Grant Lodge nursing home in Bacchus Marsh have closed temporarily while staff and residents undergo COVID-19 testing.

Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos revealed the Footscray staff member was a close contact of an infected worker at plant Cedar Meats.
Elderly man with walking stick
“Me and my siblings can’t agree on what’s best for my elderly dad.” (Getty)

“The testing of residents and staff is being undertaken and I am being advised that all residents within that service are being well supported,” Ms Mikakos said.

The Footscray home will shut its doors to visitors until at least May 11, as a deep-clean and sanitisation starts inside the facility.

In a letter obtained by 9News, CEO Vanda Iaconese said the infected employee last worked at the facility on April 26.

“There is not an outbreak nor a COVID-19 cluster,” she said.

“There is no need to be alarmed and no resident or staff are showing any signs of infection.”

Ms Iaconese said Doutta Galla Aged Care Services had activated its emergency response, notifying government and health authorities.

The employee has no symptoms of the virus but remains at home in isolation.

“We continue to practice enhanced infection control and cleaning protocols. In addition to the extra cleaning we had already implemented some weeks ago, a deep and detailed clean of the whole facility has commenced,” she said.

Victoria has recorded 17 new cases of coronavirus. (Nine)

A statement from Djerriwarrh Health Services said the Grant Lodge employee diagnosed with the virus is believed to have had contact with residents, with families being notified.

Contact tracing was being undertaken at the facility west of Melbourne to determine which residents had been exposed to the staffer.

The asymptomatic employee has been in isolation since Saturday after taking part in the state government’s testing blitz.

“Djerriwarrh Health Services has been driving an aggressive COVID-19 testing program for staff and community and will rely on contact tracing to identify the source of the transmission and any possible other transmission risks,” the statement read.

“Bacchus Marsh and Melton Regional Hospital continue to operate in strict accordance with current protocols.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *