Australian News

WA stabbing victim in critical condition

A man stabbed by a fly-in, fly-out worker who was shot dead by police has been flown to Perth and is fighting for his life.

The victim is in a critical but stable condition at Royal Perth Hospital after being transported from the state’s north by the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

Investigations are continuing into the South Hedland rampage on Friday in which seven people were stabbed, including a woman pushing her child in a pram.

All but one of the victims have since been discharged from hospital. The attacker has been identified as a FIFO worker from Perth, aged in his 30s and known to authorities.

Police say he stabbed a man at a motel and another who was in a car at the local McDonald’s before entering the South Hedland Square shopping centre and attacking a further two men and three women.

Two officers attempted to subdue him and fired a Taser before he lunged at them with a “very large” knife.

An officer fired several shots and the man died at the scene.

South Hedland Police officer-in-charge Jeremy Marklew described the incident as a tragedy and urged anyone affected to reach out for support.

“Our officers involved in the incident are ‘OK’, and we’re doing everything we can to support them and their welfare, after their heroic duties yesterday,” he said in a Facebook post.

Senior Sergeant Marklew said the South Hedland Square shopping centre would reopen on Saturday, as would licensed premises which had closed as a mark of respect.

Police Commissioner Chris Dawson has said there was no indication the man was politically or ideologically motivated.

The shooting was captured on CCTV and on police body-worn cameras. Homicide detectives have flown to South Hedland and the professional standards division will also investigate.

A WA Police Union team has also been deployed to assist the two officers.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *