I’ve been asked to update readers on the situation in Orbost. Sadly, we don’t have a lot of information at this stage. We do know bushfire ran through the town. The town has lost power. Other than that, we don’t know much. We will update the situation as soon as we know more.
Here’s the current emergency warning, issued as of 6.07am
This Emergency Warning is being issued for Bellbird Creek, Bete Bolong, Brodribb River, Cabbage Tree Creek, Cape Conran, Corringle, Jarrahmond, Manorina, Marlo, Murrungowar, Newmerella, Nurran, Orbost, Simpsons Creek, Tabbara and Waygara.
- This bushfire has impacted Orbost and surrounding communities.
- Ash and embers are falling in nearby communities which can potentially start spot fires.
- The Princes Highway is closed between Bairnsdale and Genoa.
- The wind has shifted to a south-westerly direction.
- This fire is threatening homes and lives.
- The Orbost Cricket Club in Nicholson Street has been set up as an assembly area for those in nearby communities who wish to gather within the township if you do not have any safer options.